Thursday, August 4, 2011

Last Minute Adventures.


Since we didn’t get a chance to go inside the Basilica in Vatican City, that was our first stop today. We left as early as we planned on leaving and made it to the Metro station on time. Man, the inside of the Basilica is something else… there really aren’t any words to describe it. The enormous height of the ceiling (is one thing), the commanding architecture, the history behind every monolithic statue… it’s crazy amazing inside there. We ended up staying indoors for a good amount of time. Before leaving, I had the rosaries I got there blessed and dipped in holy water!

Once we got outside, we were drawn towards the Vatican post office haha where we all sent a postcard home from the Vatican. That was writing and doing! Afterwards, we made our way to the Pantheon—which I have been dying to see! Along the way there, we stopped to snap a few pictures of some other monuments. It took a hot minute but we eventually reached the Pantheon and… it was A W E S O M E! It was like Arch 170B… in real life haha. I couldn’t wait to go inside! But before we did end up going inside, Lu and I (who had the “I Love Roma” shirts) took a few fancy tourist photos with the Pantheon in the background haha. Love it! Anyway, I should say that one of my favorite things about the Pantheon was that it actually looked… old. As opposed to some other monuments we’ve seen, the Pantheon wasn’t touched up or anything… it was natural and true to its history… it was RAW.

The Pantheon and lunch was all that I had left in Rome before I had to rush off to the train station to catch my flight back to Madrid. It all happened so fast. I packed everything up as quickly as I could and with Edgar’s gracious help with dragging my broken luggage, I made it to my departing train with five minutes to spare. I met a couple of friendly people on the train that were from Malaysia and Manchester. It was nice chatting with them for the ride there.

The flight back to Madrid was easy… the hardest part was trying to figure out how I would kill the next 12+ hours in the airport haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment