Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Farmers' Markets Ain't Got Nothin' On The Mercadillo.


Mercadillo, a weekly farmers market in Guardamar, was held today and we got to check it out while we documented the surrounding streets for our first project for Arch 101. Within our assigned groups, we had to take a series of photographs every five minutes at four separate locations throughout the Mercadillo. I had a one and a half hour shift that took place at “Spot 3.”

While I was waiting around for the next five minutes to be up, one of the venders across from me walked over to me and started talking to me. He pointed to his stool and told me, in Spanish, to sit down. I said no thank you, and he… continued to talk to me. He was a much older man, probably in his 50s. Although I don’t know Spanish fluently, I could still understand bits of what he was saying. I told him “Yo quiero aprender espanol” and he continued talking to me. I wasn’t sure whether I should walk away or keep listening, but it started getting interesting when he started asking me more personal questions, like if I had a boyfriend and how long I was staying in Spain… BECAUSE, I told him otherwise and made up a whole new identity for myself haha. Traveling is great. You can be anyone you want to be to the new people you meet.

After our studio assignment at the Mercadillo, we had a lovely lunch back at the Pension where we ate Paella and some of the best chicken I have ever had. Once we finished eating, I took my computer out in the dining area and logged onto the internet because that’s the only place we can access stable internet.

That was about it today. It was pretty chill. Our professor, Alex, is extremely laid back… he doesn’t believe in deadlines, haha. But, we still have an assignment due tomorrow and that’s what I’m working on right now. It’s already 10pm! PORQUE! It feels more like 6pm or something. Yee.

Nos vemos manana! = We’ll see each other tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment