Friday, June 10, 2011

“I'm going to call him, Castle Cat.”


Today, our professor took us on a bus to Alicante where we spent the day exploring the city. Melissa had a pedometer on her the whole time and according to the pedometer, we walked about 8 miles today. Sick! The cool thing is that I wasn’t as tired from walking today as I was back on our epic first day in Madrid. I’m finally getting back into shape! I’m also getting so TAN! I wore a tank top today so my shoulders, back, and neck got a lot of sun today. Lets see how dark I get by the time I get back home.

Anyway! Our professor took us to this epic castle in Alicante where we walked up and up and up until we reached the top, where the canons are kept and where there is THEE most beautiful view of the Mediterranean sea and the shoreline of Alicante. Yeah. A REAL castle! I really cannot put into words how in AWE I was looking out over the wall of the castle. The colors of the ocean were breath-taking… vibrant blues and greens and crystal clear water. Oh man, we took so many pictures. I mean, everywhere you turned, there was a Kodak moment. There’s one picture that I took with part of the castle, the ocean, and a few seagulls in the background… it reminded me so much of Prince Eric’s castle from The Little Mermaid. Absolutely stunning.

By the way, we ran across a tabby cat lounging in the sun at the castle. It was minding its business licking its paws… I walked up to the cat assuming he would run away immediately but the cat just continued to lay there. I moved closer. It still stayed right where it was. Definitely one of the most friendly cats I have met. His name is Castle Cat.

After taking a group picture, we were dismissed to spend the rest of our time as we please. As long as we took the evening bus back to Guardamar back on time, we could stay and explore Alicante. And that’s exactly what Melissa, Lu, Sherry, Yoshi, Edgar, Cristian, and I did. We didn’t know what we were looking for or what to expect, but we ended up seeing a lot of cool places and taking a bunch of pictures, as always. I must add, during our little journey, we tried some authentic Spanish ice cream that was oh so good. They had a variety of flavors to choose from but I ended up getting a mix of pistachio, watermelon, and nutella ice cream – yeah, baby! Lets just say it melted and disappeared before your eyes once it got in my hands.

Did I mention I’m getting darker?

We ended up staying in Alicante as long as we could and caught the 8pm bus ride back to Guardamar. It was a great day, to say the least. Once we got back, Melissa and I decided to try to catch the sunset at the castle in Guardamar. So, we went up to our room, grabbed some wheat bread and our tub of nutella, and walked up to the castle. We ate the rest of the bread as we smothered each slice with nutella and chit-chatted a bit. It was good times. Hehe.

We walked around town for a bit and ended the evening, once again, in the café of the Pension and a more “hip” café accessing the internet. After thinking about it for a long while Lu, Angela, Edgar, and I decided that we’re going to PORTUGAL next weekend, since it’s our first and last “long” weekend. Can you believe that? I need to play me some Portugal. The. Man. To get me in the mood… aye yei yei. I’m stoked!

19. Europeans “build up” while Americans build outward.
20. There are no water fountains in the airports in Spain.
21. Gyms and outdoor exercising is not a necessity or popular pastime, as it is in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment