Thursday, June 16, 2011

I’m Layering My Sunburns, Just Like the Ruins


It’s hard not to notice the brown, white, and red patches of color on my back and shoulders. Just like the ancient ruins, I’m beginning to layer a history of events on my skin. Now, whether that’s healthy or not, I don’t know (or maybe I just don’t want to answer to begin with) but I can tell you that I saw a ton of things today and walked my foot groove right into my converse shoes.

Today was another early day. We had to catch the 7:30am bus from Guardamar to Alicante and from there we took the metro around the city and got a tour of several different historic parts of the city. Forgive me for not remembering the exact names of all the places we stopped by. But anyway, a professor of architecture from the University of Alicante gave us a tour of Alicante. He was actually very cool. He did speak some English, which helped a lot.

Our first stop of the day was at La Illeta, which was the site of ancient ruins along with an INCREDIBLE surrounding of crystal clear blue and green water. It was so clear, you could see the reefs below the surface of the water. Some Lucky Duck was out in the middle of the ocean doing backstrokes across the water. It looked so peaceful. Seriously though, it would be the most perfect place to go snorkeling! Anywho, after our tour at this site was finished, we continued to walk.

Did I mention how hot it was? And how much my skin was sizzling?

The professor guided us to yet another ruin dating back from almost 1000 years ago… quite impossible, yes. But the sun was beating down on us so much that all we could think about was shade, food, and sitting in shade with food. Mind you, it was around 2pm at this time. We were starving! Haha. I’m really not kidding. Well, anywho before we were able to grab food, here are a few of the things that we did:

- We saw a crazy, crooked looking fish in the water
- We saw and walked through an old petroleum mine that was constructed through solid rock with hard hats on
- We went to an archeological museum
- We continued to walk in the sun

We eventually got a break and ate some kababs. I’m drooling again. That probably disintegrated in our stomachs in minutes.

After all this, we went our separate ways. While the rest of the class waited for a bus to go back to Guardamar, Melissa, Lu, Angela, Edgar and I left to try to find out way to Alicante Airport… because after flying to Madrid, we are headed for Portugal this weekend! Yes, Portugal! Lisbon, Portugal! Can you believe that? Anyway, due to the craziness of yesterday, I ended up on a different flight to Madrid and… I’m actually still here, waiting for my buddies. Yes, it’s almost midnight here in Madrid, but do you know what our plan is?

We’re going to sleep over night in the airport tonight.

Since our flight to Lisbon is a 7:10am tomorrow morning, we gotta do what we gotta do. It’s going to be a crazy adventure already haha! I haven’t been sleeping much lately anyway, so it should be alright.

Now, lets find a comfortable bench.

No comments:

Post a Comment