Friday, June 17, 2011

Nearly 48 Hours of Walking: Mission Portugal Complete!


We are finally in Portugal!

But it wasn’t all puppies and rainbows getting here. Remember last night? To make a long story short, Melissa, Lu, Angela, and Edgar’s flight got delayed a little bit so I ended up waiting a bit longer for them at the Madrid airport. But, there was a miscommunication with where we were going to meet and it ended up being 3 hours until we were reunited. I didn’t know I was in Terminal 4 while the others were in Terminal 1… so I ended up taking a bus to meet them at their Terminal. Who knew I was so far away from them?!

It was around 2am when I met them at Terminal 1. This is where we “slept” that night. That’s right, we freaking slept in the airport! Well, we did everything we could to get more comfortable in the airport chairs we were sitting in. I literally tried a handful of positions in that chair but I knew I wouldn’t be able to fall asleep; so I even slept on the floor of the airport to be able to straighten out my back. The four hours we spent lounging around and passed out around the Terminal went by pretty quickly as we rushed to our gate at 6:30am. Once we got on the plane, we totally passed out. And an hour and forty-five minutes later, we arrived in Portugal.

We were already so tired, as you could imagine. Little did I know, once we arrived at our Hostel, we didn’t end up checking in right away and ended up walking the rest of the day. We met Melissa at the main plaza in downtown Lisbon since she was staying at a different Hostel. The next several hours we:

- Check out Castelo S. Jorge
- Ran into a beautiful peacock that was displaying itself outside a café
- Went inside yet another gorgeous church
- Checked out the amazing Arch (It’s on all the postcards)
- Bought some ham and bread from the local market
- Walked around the main streets trying to find a good spot to watch the sunset (it was so windy and cold here! We Left before the sun actually set in order to get back early enough and before it got dark)

Anyway, today was an amazing first day in Portugal. The only thing wrong is that I feel like my feet are going to fall off haha. Some of the things that I’ve learned about Portugal so far are that there are so many large statues in big plazas and the drivers are crazy! But nonetheless, it’s a beautiful place.

PS: Our hostel is really cute and decently sized. 2 bunk beds. 1 balcony. Unlimited comfort for travelers such as ourselves!

PPS: This has got to be the least I have ever packed going somewhere. All I got is a backpack on my back.

No comments:

Post a Comment