Saturday, July 16, 2011

At 7:30AM: "Jaimie. Jaimieee. Wanna Go To the Island?"


This morning, I woke up to Melissa's voice asking, "Jaimie. Jaimieee. Wanna go to the island? The bus leaves at 8:15am." Ironically, I was having a very elaborate dream with Melissa in it talking to me in the same tone and everything... it took me a hot minute to comprehend what was real and just a dream, let alone what was going on. It's crazy how that happens sometimes, when reality merges with your dreams. Anyway, we both had talked about going to Tabarca, a small island thirty minutes off of Santa Pola, but I think we both passed out before we really got around to talking about it haha so, Melissa's voice this morning was a surprise. We hadn't slept much last night and I kinda of just laid in bed and tried to weigh options and figure out what to do with my half-asleep mind. A few minutes later, we ended up getting out of bed and we were out the door by 8am. Gotta love spontaneous moments and decisions!

It was our first time going to Santa Pola and Tabarca so it took a little bit of searching and "adventuring" to find where we needed to go. Once we got to Santa Pola, we found the port we were looking for and took a ferry to Tabarca! It was a really nice ride. I couldn’t stop staring at the water… it is absolutely GORGEOUS! The water went from green to blue to deep turquoise by the time we arrived at the island. There we SO many fish swimming around by the boat as it was approaching the dock and the water was so clear, you could see just about everything on the surface below the water. Oh man.

Since we left pretty early in the morning, we spent the majority of the day walking, laying out, or swimming IN THE SUN. I kept applying sunscreen every chance I could get to make sure I wouldn’t burn haha I think it worked, but I am DARK. Golden brown… I can’t remember the last time I was this tan. We walked around the island in no time, considering it’s only a few miles long. It’s a small island, but it’s beautiful! We tried swimming in various coves but decided to stick to the main beach area where there was the clearest water, softest surface to walk on, and calm waves. It was a lot of fun! We brought some goggles and swam with some little fishies in the water off the shore… it was great.

We were enjoying this little island so much that we definitely lost track of time and sizzled under the sun for several hours. We both turned all red and brown… Gotta love that sun!

PS: The evening ended with most of our class witnessing a most interesting parade that Guardamar put together in their annual celebration! We could see everything from the balconies of the Pension. I wonder what the next week has in store for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment