Friday, July 29, 2011

Stay Classy, Guardamar!


I can’t believe I’m about to say this… but today was our very last full day in Guardamar del Segura, Spain. Can you believe that?! Aye well, before I get too caught up on how fast this summer has flown by haha… I should mention that Group 4 successfully presented today and this summer’s Arch 101 Studio Program in Spain… is complete. As far as the presentations went, everything went smoothly haha. We had new reviewers again today; they were great reviewers but the only catch was that they didn’t know any English. So, Alex had to translate every few sentences of each of the student’s presentations as well as the reviewers’ comments so that both end understood what the other was saying. It took a bit longer because of this but it worked out just fine. Haha by the way, Melissa has a new fan now! One of the reviewers, Jesus, was absolutely taken aback by her project – he was so mesmerized and he just couldn’t get enough of it! Haha in the end, Melissa ended up leaving her boards and signing them so that Alex could give it to Jesus. Oh man, he’s going to be so happy haha. Alex ended our Review with a few words of advice in the Architecture realm… it was like a sentimental motivational speech haha. It was nice to end on a happy note, even if it was bittersweet.

After Final Review, we went directly to the Pension and ate our last meal together in the Pension (AKA “Our Last Supper”). We definitely ate well. I had the usual, Carbonara and Roast Chicken haha. Even though the Pension serves incredibly greasy food and provides “bug juice” for their customers to use… I’m going to miss it haha. Really. Especially Vicente, one of the owners of the place. He has been so good to us this summer. I’m never going to forget not only his food and mannerisms, but his incredible hospitality to us “chicos y chicas.” He told us that he really enjoyed having us at the Pension and that we were an amazing bunch of kids to keep him company during the summertime. It was all so bittersweet… but a nice way to end this summer session. One of the students took a picture of him sleeping in the kitchen or something haha and we all passed it around to sign and give to him. Albert helped translate some words so I could write my little note to him in Spanish. I think it made him really happy. Oh! Melissa, Sherry, Lu, and I got to take a picture with him haha! That made US equally happy.

After eating and resting up a bit, we headed back over to the Ayuntamiento to pin down and pack everything up. Slowly but surely, as everyone showed up, the walls became bare and all of our presentation boards and mylar were either rolled up or laying on the floor for Alex to take home. I’ll admit that it was sad to think that it’s all over… but I am so very thankful that whatever is “over”… happened. I have made so many irreplaceable memories this summer that I will never forget.

Eventually, everything disappeared minus the stacked chairs and collection of models on the floor. Haha maybe it’s a good thing that none of us are able to take our models home on the plane; seeing our models laying on the floor the way I did today made me think of the models as pieces of us… yes, they were precursors to what our buildings would look like, but they’re also like a representation of us; we’re leaving a part ourselves in Guardamar haha. Is that cheesy or what? Before leaving, we all said our goodbyes farewells to Alex… thanks to Ceci, we were able to get a framed group picture of the class and him with our signatures on the back in time before he left. It was actually really cute! Haha.

Afterwards, Melissa and I spent some time at the daily market that’s held down by the dunes. Since it is our last day, I shopped more aggressively and efficiently as I didn’t let myself think too much about what I eyed and whether or not I should buy it or not. I’m so glad we went! We did have fun though; aside from the shopping we –once again – took some “silly” pictures together haha! They are priceless.

What can I say? It’s time to start packing everything up, for real this time, and moving on with new adventures. I have definitely had one of the most adventurous summer’s of my life here in Guardamar del Segura… even with the unreliable internet connection, “it’s been good, Guardamar, it’s been good.” I’ve also realized that for the past two months I have lived WITHOUT a cellphone, texting, air-conditioning (this is normal, but still), television, more than one meal a day, and a dryer for clothes… in return, I have lived WITH one large meal a day, nutella and bread in place of other meals, a tiny room for two, limited toilet paper, cockroaches, bugs in vinegar and soup, loud music playing until 7am in the morning, cigarette smoke just about everywhere, and the good ol sunshine to dry my clothes… the list is endless.

Come tomorrow morning at 11am, all of us will be checking out of our rooms and will be on our way… some of us will be heading home while others will be delaying their trip home for an extensive Eurotrip! Come tomorrow afternoon, Lu, Edgar, Jinah, Sherry, and I will be heading off to Venice, Italy! I’m so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment